Thursday, April 29, 2010

G O A T C H E E S E

Last week I made up a meal that is somewhat healthy so I thought that I would share. Eggplant Parmesan with goat cheese and spinach. I made my own marinara out of some canned tomatoes - it was delicious and cheaper than buying jarred sauce (which you could do for this recipe). I really like this recipe because it's very easy to change the quantity of how much you make. I used 3 eggplants for Kyle and I - but they were VERY small & we also had leftovers. You can change the amount of spinach and goat cheese depending on how much you have on hand or how much you like a particular ingredient. I put more goat cheese on my half of the dish because I LOVE goat cheese and Kyle only somewhat likes it. Sorry I didn't take any photos!

Eggplant Parmesan with Goat Cheese and Spinach

Ingredients
Eggplants washed and sliced into rounds (I prefer this method to long strips)
Egg whites
Bread crumbs (I used Italian style)
Marinara sauce (or whatever sauce you prefer)
Spinach - steamed and patted dry
Goat cheese
Mozzarella cheese
Parmesan cheese for serving
Optional: red pepper flakes

Preheat oven to 375. Dip eggplant slices into egg whites and then into bread crumbs and place on baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes; flip and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until slightly golden. Add a layer of marinara to the bottom of your baking dish. Use whatever size depending on how much you are making. Add a layer of cooked eggplant slices. Add more sauce. Add a layer of spinach. Add a layer of goat cheese and mozzarella. Add more sauce and eggplant. Continue layering, ending with a layer of mozzarella with a few pats of goat cheese on top. Bake for 30 minutes or until it's all melted!

Serve with lots of red wine ;)

1 comment:

  1. I'm definitely making this sometime. Now I'm hungry from reading this!

    ReplyDelete